The Métalab is the cutting-edge research and development laboratory of the Society for Arts and Technology [SAT]. It is an open space where artists,
researchers and programmers collaborate in the innovation of new media: immersive spaces, creative human-
machine interfaces, real-time telepresence, and other technologies from the future.
- scenic :: Telepresence software for live performances and installations
- spinframework :: Framework for spatial interaction in a networked system of virtual environments.
- pdsheefa :: Pure Data externals and abstractions for creating SPIN clients and audio rendering
- tempi :: Dataflow programming C++ library aimed at multimodal sampling.
Or see the complete list of projects
Our free software policy¶
We provide our software projects under open source licenses in the spirit of creating bridges with other artists and research centers. We open the doors to collaboration in writing software and using free software for use in artistic creation and expression. Download it, try it, use it, share and modify it! It's our gift to the community.
If you make great works with some software we worked on, or started from the beginning, we would be quite happy to hear about it.
We believe in free / open source software because:
- Collaborators can use, study and modify it. This means more people are testing and improving our software.
- Free software can become easily available on free operating systems, like Debian GNU/Linux. It eases deployment.
- It makes it possible to modify it for future needs, or future operating systems. That means that an artist's work that is made only with free software can possibly still work in the distant future.
- Other developers are more inclined to help when we are working on free software.